Hi, my name is __________________ and I am with the New Jersey Organizing Project, a community group started by disaster survivors to look out for each other. Is __________ available? Many of us are facing big challenges right now, and so we’re reaching out to connect with our communities because it is important we look out for each other. Are you or someone you love being impacted by COVID-19?
(If they ask about NJOP, here’s what we tell them: New Jersey Organizing Project is a grassroots organization made up of people like you – we stand up for New Jersey’s Shore regions and South Jersey. We connect with community members to participate in the decision-making processes that affect their daily lives. This has included Sandy recovery, quality healthcare our families deserve and being prepared for future storms and frequent flooding.)
- (story tied to community). How are you holding up? What does life look like for you right now?
- What are you most concerned about for your family and community?
- We set up a website that helps people impacted by COVID navigate where the resources the need may be located. Is it ok if I send you the links that address [whatever the community member may have referred to- unemployment, utilities, food etc.] CovidNJ.com
- We have been fighting for legislation that would keep NJ residents from being foreclosed on or evicted due to COVID. Will you sign our pledge to demand NJ lawmakers keep families in their homes? opens in a new windowBit.ly/NJOPHomes
Covid Only ACTION Ask
ASK: If they are impacted or interested in COVID: On Fridays, we have a virtual meeting where we bring community members together to share how we’re doing, like this, and get information on programs, policies, and action. Would you like to join us on NEXT CALL AND TIME? [if yes, click here to register them with this link]
- I shared a bit about why I’m a community captain and reaching out, and that’s because even before COVID, I/my community was already struggling with a disaster. Before this, we had been working on three key things: getting Sandy families home, preparing our communities for flooding and future storms, and ending the overdose crisis and making sure anyone anywhere has affordable healthcare and medication. Are any of those disasters you were facing before COVID?